Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cherished memories

If you've read my blogger profile, you will know that I began my crafting life as a little girl when I learned to crochet from my Grannie. I don't remember how old I was, but I still have the crochet hook she gave me from her collection. The times I spent with her are some of my most cherished memories.

I grew up on the same farm where she and my Grandaddy lived and raised my dad and his siblings. I could walk over to see her any time I wanted and I spent the afternoons, summers and Sundays of my childhood at her house. She was retired by then and we spent the summer mornings in the garden and in the afternoons she would sit and crochet. She would make things for the church bazaars and for our Christmas presents - I don't know how many pair of crocheted slippers I went through as a child! When I became curious she handed me a hook and a skein of yarn. She was so patient with me and would show me the same things over and over when I forgot a stitch.

As I got older, I didn't crochet much until I got to college. When I did get back into it, I picked it up again with a passion. I started simple, with the things she'd taught me - basic stitches, granny squares and hanging dish towels (these are still some of the easiest, most useful gifts to make!). I gradually taught myself more things with books and the (new, amazing) internet. A few years later when I finally had the guts and patience to undertake an afghan, I brought the finished product over to show her and she told me how proud she was of me. At this point, her arthritis made her unable to crochet anymore, and she asked me to make her some hanging dish towels (that she taught me how to make!). I was so flattered! Every time I went over to her house after that, she had my towels hanging in the kitchen where the ones she used to make would hang.

Grannie passed on October 27 at age 91. She was a strong woman who always spoke her mind and loved her family fiercely and unconditionally. She had an enormous influence on my life, not just my crafting one, and I will miss her always.

4 comments:

  1. What beautiful memories you have of your Grannie! I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. She sounds like a great woman. You and yours will be be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute to her! (the blog and your crocheting.) She was such a nice woman. I know how much you loved her, and how much she loved you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could swear I've read this (beautiful and poignant) post before. Deja vu?
    It reminds me so much of my Grandmother who could knit, sew, crochet and tat. She tried to teach me the latter, but I was way too impatient. She was a lefty and that may have been some of it.
    She is the person who influenced my aesthetic development and penchant for the vintage tool or garment the most deeply. I miss her daily, as I am sure you do your Grannie.

    ReplyDelete