Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lots of cutting...

I am still debating about the binding of my quilt, so I've put it on temporary hold until I can get to the quilt/fabric store (the awesome Asheville Cotton Co).

Today I worked on two projects: my next quilt and my diaper bag. I think all in all (considering the goofing off I did this morning and later snag...) it was a productive day.

I cut the "coins" for my stacked coins quilt. I now have 112 "coins" - wow. Next step - get them arranged in 5 rows of 22.


I wasn't feeling up to the coin matching, so I moved on to my diaper bag. The pattern I picked is the "Here We Go Bag" from Anna Maria Horner's Handmade Beginnings.


I am going to use the awesome sock monkey fabric that I got at a baby shower in June. Here is what I am thinking for the bag:
For the main outside part, the red sock monkeys.
For the handles and top edge, the polka dots.
For the side panel, the "sock" fabric.
For the liner/inside pockets, the blue and off-white sock monkeys.
How do you think that will look?


The patterns in the book are overlapped so you have to trace them onto something else to use them. There were also some pattern pieces to make with simple measurements. I didn't have anything at home to do that with...


I did a little internet searching and found some pattern tracing paper options. So I drove out to our local Hancock Fabric store, but they did not have it. Or anything like it. The only tracing paper they had was 8 1/2 x 11. Boo.

I went next door to the A.C. Moore to see if they had something and happened upon a large pad of tracing paper in the art supplies. Its a little more than I wanted to spend, but it is 50 sheets of 19 x 24 paper. Its sturdy enough to re-use, so I think it will be a good investment. I could have ordered the stuff I found online, but I really need to get this show on the road before I go back to school this week. So, I got the pattern pieces all cut out and, man alive, there are a lot of them! I knew that this bag would be a harder project than I've done before, and I hope I haven't gotten in over my head!

4 comments:

  1. I love the sock monkey fabric! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the coins for your quilt! And I think your diaper bag will look great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed with your sewing skills!! I LOVE the quilt; it is SO cute! I need to learn to sew now.

    And how are you doing? Is the baby kicking a lot yet? Have names yet? I hope all is well!! I stopped by a Starbucks the other day and it got me thinking about the good times we all had at Hillsbourgh. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for the fire flower quilt being done!!! I put it on etsy for you

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/55723384/custom-for-nancy

    And I can bring it to the shop any day this week! I'll probably just bring it anyway to show people!

    ReplyDelete